This is my very first post in my blog! I have been DREAMING for this moment to happen and now is a REALITY (woot, woot!). That is why I want to share with you an extremely delicious and sweet recipe that is also nourishing and has some protein which is always important to have with each meal!
This recipe is ideal for vegetarians. It doesn't contain dairy and it's GLUTEN-FREE!
If you are a chocolate lover and you are looking to have a healthier brownie, well, THIS is the recipe you have been waiting for!
First, let's talk about the healthy benefits of the main ingredients in this recipe. I will start with black beans since they are the base of the brownies.
Black beans are plant-based protein. Beside having fiber and healthy carbs, they are rich in protein. They are a great source of folic acid (very important in pregnancy). They can aid in the regulation of the body's blood sugar levels. This means that if you eat this brownie, your blood sugar levels will not spike like common desserts will do.
They are easy to digest, especially if you soak them overnight prior to cooking. You can also buy canned black beans, but make sure to get organic ones. Just remember that it's always better to cook them rather than using cans.
Cacao (100% pure one), is rich in magnesium and antioxidants. It boots brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. This is probably why we all LOVE it! In order to get the full benefits of cacao, make sure you get raw cacao powder without sugar added. Do not buy cocoa since it's not raw. It's basically a processed food (no longer in their natural state) which means it doesn't contains any nutritional value (minerals/vitamins).
BLACK BEAN CHOCO - BROWNIE RECIPE
- 1 cup uncooked black beans (Soaked the night before), or 1 can organic black beans
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, at room temperature (melt it in a double boiler to avoid heating it too much)
- 3/4 cup raw unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp cloves powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- Wash and cook the soaked beans in a pot for 2 - 3h. Once they are ready, drain and let them cool down. Skip this step if using a can.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Have ready a 20x20 square baking pan with parchment paper on top.
- In a blender, combine black beans, eggs, maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil, cacao powder, chia, cinnamon, cloves powder and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Once desired consistency is reached, stir in the chocolate chips and crushed walnuts (if using).
- Transfer mixture to the baking pan, and level with a spoon or spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a fork inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Before serving, let it cool for 10 minutes minimum.
- ENJOY!!! :)
They are so DELICIOUS that I hope they become a favourite in your home! This healthier version of brownie will delight the most demanding palates!
Give me a thumbs up, share my recipe with your family and friends, and let me know if you have any comments below!